project -REDEMPTION-

Got an in depth project such as a turbo, swap, 5 lug, rally car, etc? Post it here.

project -REDEMPTION-

Postby pawi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi, my name is Pawel (pah-velle). I bought my 89 325iX on April Fool’s Day in 2007.

I loved e30's since the first day I saw one. It was my older brothers first car, and I never got over it. That was in the year 2000.

The problem with me buying an iX is, I knew nothing about cars. So I drove it everywhere. It had zero hiccups for about 2 1/2 years. With me being young and immature I did abuse it, didn't maintain it well. All I did was change the oil every 2500 miles, and wash it almost every day.

After surfing R3V for a couple years now, I have a whole new respect for e30's, and what they can become. I have started doing my own work on this car, which isn't a great ting because something usually ends up broken. That is perfectly fine with me, because that just means I get to work on the car some more.

So now, today, I start project -REDEMPTION-. This car deserves the world, and I will see if I can bring it back to glory.

When I first got it:

MAN I loved this car to death! 3 and a half years later there are some problems.

CONS:

-AWD system shot
-suspension shot
-motor need a refresh
-paint is not great
-wiring nightmare on the interior
-bent wheels
-idle problem
-parking brake does not work at all

PLANS:
-fix the idle
-all hoses belts
-coolant flush
-timing belt water pump
-delete PS,CC, AC, clean up engine bay
-headlights, turn signals, side markers, taillight refresh
-all new suspension
-was there ever a manual rack for the iX?
-driveshaft / transfer case refresh
-transmission refresh
-exhaust
-wheels
-paint 8-)

These are the plans, and my budget is 200 dollars a month. Any comments criticism, idea are more than welcome!

Pawel
pawi

Re: project -REDEMPTION-

Postby Supernaught » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Looks like a great project.
I'd recommend getting all the parts and tools you *might* need before starting most jobs, definitely before timing belt, hoses, water pump - and its probably a good idea to get that out of the way ASAP. Having a box full of spare nuts washers and bolts of the common sizes is a good idea too.
you might find deleting the PS is not the best idea. Without PS, maneuvering around parking lots and driveways can get awful.
AC delete take some work, but until you are ready to pull it out, you can just cut the belt and enjoy the extra .07hp
Good luck on everything else though, this will be a great place to ask for advice.
Supernaught

Postby pawi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Supernaught wrote:Looks like a great project.
I'd recommend getting all the parts and tools you *might* need before starting most jobs, definitely before timing belt, hoses, water pump - and its probably a good idea to get that out of the way ASAP. Having a box full of spare nuts washers and bolts of the common sizes is a good idea too.
you might find deleting the PS is not the best idea. Without PS, maneuvering around parking lots and driveways can get awful.
AC delete take some work, but until you are ready to pull it out, you can just cut the belt and enjoy the extra .07hp
Good luck on everything else though, this will be a great place to ask for advice.

Thanks, I hope i make myself proud.
I got the AC lines out, and the compressor the other day. Now I think all that's left is the condenssor?
pawi

Postby hassmaschine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:08 pm

agreed on the steering. Remove the belt and drive it that way first. My steering is already pretty heavy with the 235/50-15 R888s. With the belt removed it's almost undriveable - the ix steering is much heavier in general than a RWD E30. Might be fine with some skinny snow tires though.
hassmaschine
Site Admin

Postby pawi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Did BMW ever make a manual iX rack?
pawi

Postby hassmaschine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:03 pm

nope

RWD E30 manual racks have slower ratios than the power ones too. the ix ratio is slow enough already (slightly faster than the RWD racks, as it turns out!).
hassmaschine
Site Admin

Postby pawi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 pm

OK, so I've been slacking. Found a good deal on a timing belt kit, so I picked that up last night:

13 72 1 715 881, Air Filter - Mahle
11 51 1 706 710, Accessory Drive Belt - Conti
11 42 1 266 773, Oil Filter - Mahle
32 42 1 706 825, Accessory Drive Belt - Conti
64 52 1 706 826, Accessory Drive Belt - Conti TB 131 K1, Timing Belt Kit -Conti
11 51 9 070 759, Water Pump - Graf x1 Febi x5
11 53 1 466 174/75, Thermostat - 71 Degree Wahler
13 32 1 270 038, Fuel Filter - Mahle
12 12 1 721 895, Spark Plug 6 Each Bosch WR8LCPLUS 7909

Hopefully I'll start that this weekend. Never done a T-Belt before on any car. Any tips, advice? I've read countless DIY, Bentley, 101 Projects, and on other internet forums. I'll try to take many pics as well.
pawi

Postby pawi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Also need some advice on suspension refresh. Where should I buy tie rods? I would like to replace all the bushings, any advice or tips would be great. This car will be my DD, I would like a little bit of low on it, and a soft suspension is not preferred, but I could live with it.
pawi

Postby hassmaschine » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 pm

blunttech is a good guy and usually the best prices

you could do the standard H&R sports and bilsteins. or just bilsteins and stock springs. it's hard to go low on an ix without it being stiff.
hassmaschine
Site Admin

Postby pawi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:56 pm

I don't mind it being stiff. (that’s what she said.) Also where can I get a full bushing kit?

I did go with Blunttech, now I just need to put together a couple more pieces. If the car has been sitting for 6 months, what fluids should I replace? and does anyone have any recommendations on what to use?
pawi

Next

Return to Projects