Lets Talk Short Shifters

Topics Related Specifically to the E30 325ix

Lets Talk Short Shifters

Postby GermanIX » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:51 am

There's no way to hide it, the IX has the longest shift throw of any BMW. Although the buttery smooth feel is wonderful it is just too long and loose for my taste.

To my knowledge here are the options

1. New stock bushings and z3 1.9 shifter

2. UUC Short shift kit

3. B&M Short Shifter

The z3 lever seems like the most popular way to go as it is cheap and effective. The UUC ssk seems like a fantastic product and one that you would not have to mess with bushings a few years down the road but it is about 4x the price. Have not heard much about the B&M Short Shifter.

Anyone compare the three? My big question is if the UUC kit is really worth the price.
GermanIX

Re: Lets Talk Short Shifters

Postby ss45466 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 pm

I know the 1.9l z3 shifter works well, I'm running the B&M shifter in my car and it clears fine. UUC dosen't list one for the e30 IX but I don't have the cash to buy one to find out.

The reason I went with the B&M is I got it for a steal ($100 shipped) and it dosen't use the plastic ball cup of the origional shifter like the z3 one. It has a throw slightly shorter than the z3, compared to a friends car I recently installed.

I want to get the UUC DSSR tho, I do have a small amount of side to side movement with the shifter in gear. I'm not sure which one to get either, not one listed for the IX. Maybe for the stock shifter standard e30 version?
ss45466

Postby GermanIX » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Nice Where did you get the B&M from? How do you Like it?

UUC might not make it anymore but I am sure you could call them and they could piece a kit together for you

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/catalog/ul ... models.htm

As far as their DSSR I hear that to fit an IX you have to put a slight bend in it for clearance. Can't remember for sure though.
GermanIX

Postby ss45466 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Found a guy selling the B&M on ebay, $99.95 shipped brand new in the origional package with eveything! It shifts nice and short enough for me.

I'll have to give UUC a call soon. Gathering parts for coil-overs now.
ss45466

Postby hassmaschine » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:13 pm

I have a Z3 1.9 with a UUC DSSR thats been modified to fit the ix. I don't have experience with their shifters but not having bushings to wear is pretty nice. I do love the dssr though!
hassmaschine
Site Admin

Return to 325ix Discussion